Memory works like a muscle, the more you exercise it and use it the more it develops. If you have a bad memory, don’t worry, here are five tips to improve it!
According to psychology, human memory is a function of the brain that allows humans to acquire, store and retrieve information about different types of knowledge, skills and past experiences.
It is always important to remember those things that we have learned and that are useful for the good performance of our daily activities.
Read on for five memory-enhancing tricks.
- Try to remember what you ate yesterday and the day before. Although this exercise seems silly, it is not as easy as it seems. This helps your memory in the process of storing information in the short and medium term.
- Clench your fists. Although it seems strange, according to the State University of Montclair (USA) this technique consists of clenching the right fist for ninety seconds when you want to memorize, and clenching the left one when you want to remember the information memorized. This happens because by clenching each fist we manage to stimulate a hemisphere of our brain.
- Learn something new every day. It is important to add every day new information to our brain so that it does not lose the habit of performing that process. You get that by reading a book, watching some educational video, or talking to other people about interesting topics.
- Use mnemonics, which are mental association processes that help you remember things. The brain can store information in many ways, some being more efficient than others. Setting up codes makes it easier and faster to store and retrieve that information.
For example, if you want to remember the order of the planets in the solar system in relation to their proximity to the sun, we will first find Mercury, then Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, until we reach the furthest, Pluto (currently considered a dwarf planet). To memorize this order, it is possible to invent a phrase that remains in the memory, forming the expression with the initials of each planet: "My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets." (Mercury - Venus - Earth - Mars - Jupiter - Saturn - Uranus - Neptune - Pluto).
- Play. Playing video games and board games will help you improve memory and other mental skills. But keep in mind that not all video games will help your memory, many only improve your coordination, response speed, and reflexes. Strategy games are the most useful to improve mental ability.