Discover its properties and secrets and incorporate this ancient oil into your beauty essentials.
Natural castor oil is a complement to any daily beauty treatment, being able to become the nourishing mask you need to rest your skin after a long day, in massage oil, or in your eye contour. Castor oil is extracted from the seeds of the castor plant, a plant native to Africa and India. If we think of this oil, it will possibly come to mind as a remedy used by our grandparents as a purgative, but the benefits of this oil go much further. It is used in various cosmetic products, massage oils, soaps, and also medicines because it offers many benefits for the skin, hair, and health in general.
This oil is obtained from the homonymous seed and is made up of fatty acids. It is often mentioned as toxic because the raw seed is but its oil is not.
Castor oil is a triglyceride, made up of essential fatty acids. 90% of these fatty acids are made up of ricinoleic acid (omega 9). This unique fatty acid is found in lower concentrations in some other seeds and oils (0.27% in cottonseed oil and 0.03% in soybean oil) and is believed to be responsible for the unique properties of castor oil. It also contains a huge amount of vitamin E, proteins, minerals, and has antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. It has been the remedy traditionally used to combat all kinds of problems related to the skin and hair.
Among the beauty uses that stand out the most of this product are the following:
- Stimulates the growth of the eyelashes: In case of weak or scarce eyelashes, we will apply a small amount every night to the roots of the clean and makeup removed eyelashes and we will gently massage until absorbed. You have to use a very small amount as it is a very dense oil that spreads a lot and be careful not to get into the eyes. We can also use it on the eyebrows, in case of having them thin or with depopulated areas and we want to stimulate their growth.
- Stimulates hair growth: In the case of hair, it is recommended to warm it up a little before applying it and massage the scalp for about 5 minutes. It is convenient to repeat this treatment daily and do it before going to sleep so that it acts during the night and the next morning remove the oil in the shower. The oil stimulates blood circulation to the hair follicles, allowing faster growth. It is also rich in Omega-9 fatty acid, responsible for the normal state of capillary health.
- It helps to avoid split ends and improve dry or damaged hair: It will also help us to maintain the good condition of the hair in cases of being damaged or dry. Mixing a few drops in our regular shampoo, using a couple of tablespoons from medium to ends mask once a week will keep it healthy and shiny. Another trick is to apply a couple of drops on the ends as a remedy to repair split ends.
- Enhances the natural color of the hair and prevents gray hair: Castor oil can make the natural color of our hair look deeper and richer. This oil is very moisturizing, and when applied, it seals the moisture within the hair cuticle avoiding the loss of pigment, making each hair look thicker and darker. After washing your hair, towel dry it and divide the hair into sections. Lightly heat one or two tablespoons of castor oil and apply it with your fingers along with the hair, rubbing the separate strands between the palms to cover all the hair with the oil.
- Nail moisturizer: It is an excellent cuticle moisturizer. Massaging a few drops on the fingernails and toenails every night (now that the time to wear sandals is approaching) will help us achieve hydrated, strong, and healthy-looking nails.