Lungs and respiratory system are responsible for allowing oxygen to enter the body, as well as the exit of carbon dioxide, through breathing.
If we don’t breathe, we don’t live. Even if we have trouble breathing, our health is affected immediately, because every cell in our body needs oxygen to function properly. Also, when breathing, we expel the carbon dioxide that occurs naturally at the cellular level.
They are also essential to be able to speak correctly, and for the projection of the voice and good diction. A healthy person breathes about 25,000 times a day. Lungs are not symmetrical, the left one is a little smaller, to “leave room” for the heart.
As you may have noticed, the health of lungs is of great importance. Therefore, we bring you five tips for you to take care of them:
- Maintain physical activity. When you spend a lot of time sedentary, the body gets weaker, so when you need to get moving again you will have to make more effort, and lungs will require more air, something that will put them in trouble.
- Do not smoke. It is not necessary to give more explanations.
- Maintain a balanced diet. Do not consume excess carbohydrates.
- Keep chronic diseases under control. Follow to the letter the treatments indicated by the doctor.
- Know when to consult the specialist. You should go to the pulmonologist when typical warning signs appear such as constant coughing, chronic coughing, feeling of shortness of breath, increased dependence on inhalers or "whistling" in the chest.