Croissants, custard, lemon curd, and blueberries combine to make this irresistible yet easy bake that's perfect for dessert or brunch with friends this time of year.
The combination of flavors of lemon with blueberries is indescribable, it is an acid contrast with a sweet background. Its crunchy topping and its soft, juicy and delicious filling will make this recipe the best in the whole universe. It is easy to make and there will be no one who can resist its taste. You can vary the type of berries that you add to the filling and enjoy a diversity of flavors from the same recipe.
- 6 large croissants (leftover stale croissants work well)
- 500g ready-made custard
- 250ml whole milk
- 150g lemon curd
- 250g fresh or frozen blueberries
- Icing sugar, to serve (optional)
- Cut each of the croissants in half, then arrange them roughly, overlapping them slightly, in a deep medium baking dish about 20 x 20cm.
- Pour the custard into a small saucepan and whisk in the milk. Warm over low heat for 3 mins or until just starting to steam.
- Whisk through half the lemon curd. Pour the custard over and around the croissants, then set aside for 30 mins-1 hr for the croissants to absorb some of the custard.
- Heat oven to 180ºC.
- Nestle the blueberries around the croissants and dollop over teaspoons of the remaining lemon curd.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until the top is golden brown. Rest for 10 mins before dusting with icing sugar, if you like.