Roasted pumpkin and shallots fill this wheat berry salad with a sweet and flavorful seasonal flavor.
Make this recipe as a side dish or make it for lunch. No matter when you eat it, I think you will savor every bite. Wheat berries have a sweet, nutty flavor and a delicious chewy texture. In this wheat berry salad, they play perfectly with creamy roasted pumpkin and fresh herbs. Roasted shallots add a rich, sweet, and flavorful flavor, and an apple cider vinaigrette ties it all together, leaving it juicy and delicious. Hearty, nutritious, and tasty, this wheat berry salad falls into a bowl. You are going to love it!
- 3 cups cooked wheat berries
- Roasted butternut squash cubes, from 1 small squash
- 3 medium shallots, chopped into ½-inch pieces (1 cup)
- ⅓ cup fresh sage leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
- Cook the wheat berries.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roast the butternut squash for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Add the shallots onto the baking sheet with the squash and roast for 20 to 25 minutes. Wrap the sage leaves in foil with a drizzle of olive oil and place on the baking sheet for the last 2 minutes. Unwrap and chop.
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with a bit of the dressing. Add the wheat berries, squash, shallots, sage, walnuts, cranberries, parsley, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, lots of pepper, and toss.
- Transfer to a platter, drizzle with more dressing and more freshly ground black pepper. Top with the pecorino cheese and serve.