Easily make this homemade sweetened condensed milk recipe and use it to make ice cream, cookies, and more desserts!
Condensed milk is traditionally cow's milk that has much of the water content boiled and then sugar is added. Forget about canning because you can easily make it yourself at home. If you want vegan condensed milk you can use coconut or almond milk and sweetener or honey. It is a really simple recipe with a divine creamy texture and its flavor is from another planet!
- 2 cups whole milk dairy, almond, cashew, oat, etc.
- 3/4 cup sugar granulated or cane, honey, or maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together milk and sweetener in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisking often, bring to a low simmer.
- Continue to simmer, whisking often, until the milk has reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Once reduced, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Allow to cool completely and store in a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.