Light, sparkling cappuccinos are the favorite drink of many coffee lovers. Once you acquire two basic barista skills (pulling shots and frothing milk), you can learn how to make perfect cappuccinos.
A cappuccino is an Italian coffee drink traditionally made with equal parts double espresso, steamed milk, and steamed milk foam on top. The cream can be used instead of milk. It is generally smaller in volume than a latte and has a thicker layer of microfoam. Espresso is typically prepared with a dark roast coffee and finely ground. To prepare a good and delicious coffee, follow this recipe and you will not regret it.
For the Espresso
- 2 tablespoons of coffee
- 4 ounces of water
For the Foamed Milk
- 4 ounces of milk
How to make it?
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the water into the boiler of your espresso machine.
- Place the 2 tablespoons (2 shots) of ground espresso into the portafilter.
- Tamp (press) the coffee down using a tamper. Do this two to three times to make sure the grounds are packed tightly.
- Place the portafilter into your espresso machine's group head and lock it in place by turning it to the right.
- Place a demitasse cup or the glass carafe that came with your espresso machine under the group head and pull the shot for 23 to 30 seconds, or until 2 ounces of espresso is yielded. Typically, there is a lever, switch, or button to start this process.
- Once the shot is pulled, foam the milk.
Foam the milk:
- Place the milk into either a glass measuring cup or a small metal pitcher.
- Insert the steam wand into the container with the milk, just under the surface of the milk.
- Engage the steam wand on your espresso machine.
- Make sure to keep the tip of the wand towards the side of the container. This will create a vortex with the milk.
- Move the container higher, lower, closer, then further so that the steam wand can incorporate the air into the milk, making the foam. The bubbles should get smaller and smaller as you do this.
- Once the milk has foamed to double its size, turn the steam wand off.
- Top the espresso with foamed milk right after foaming.