Really, this Lemon Cilantro Rice Recipe is a fresh and bright side dish to Asian or Mexican food. It is delicious and simple. Plus, it makes a great base for homemade burrito bowls!
Sometimes you just need a quick and tasty side dish to complete your meal and if it's healthy and delicious all the better, so let me introduce you: cilantro lime rice! This recipe couldn't be easier, it will be ready in a few minutes and it is prepared in 3 easy steps, this recipe is perfect to have in your back pocket to prepare quick burrito bowls on weekdays; just add beans, veggies, salsa, and guacamole. It also pairs well with whatever you're grilling - serves alongside roasted avocados or grilled vegetable kabobs, perhaps with a little chipotle sauce or cilantro-lime dressing on top. It is very versatile, it is a perfect side dish for any meal and it is truly light, fresh, tasty, and with vibrant color. Try it!
- 1 cup of long-grain jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1½ cups of water
- 3 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1½ tablespoons of lime juice
- ½ cup of finely chopped cilantro
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or ¼ diced jalapeño (optional)
- Combine the rice, water, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes (or check the time listed on the package of your rice).
- Uncover, fluff with a fork, then add the garlic, scallions, and lime zest and stir to combine. Let cool for 1 minute then add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, lime juice, cilantro, and red pepper flakes or jalapeño, if using. Stir to combine and season to taste.