Beetroot salad is a nice change from potato salad or macaroni salad, and who can argue with that beautiful color? It's easy to do, try it!
This is an incredibly easy recipe and similar to potato salad. Beets have a silky texture and a delicious sweet taste, plus they're super healthy. A common variation is a beet potato salad, so if you're not ready to embrace beets on its own, give that a try - you'll still get the rich pink color. Feel free to do it the day before, it will keep perfectly and saturate even more beautifully overnight. Its texture and combination of flavors with the dressing is perfect, very delicious, a very creamy and fresh salad.
- 5 cups chopped peeled raw beets, chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (if you use onion salt, limit any extra salt)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill fronds
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- Put the beets in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the beets are just tender, adding more water if necessary. Drain the beets and chill until cold.
- Blend the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. When the beets are cold, toss them in the dressing, making sure to get them evenly coated. The white dressing will turn a lovely shade of pink.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad with the dill and green onions. Top with more pepper, if you like.