Cannoli will become your favorite dessert. It is sweet, crunchy, and delicious. Learn how to make it!
Italian bakeries have been serving up cannoli forever. The crispy shell and creamy sweet filling are nearly irresistible. Often, they come with mini chocolate chips or chopped pistachios or dipped in chocolate. Cannoli filling is always made with ricotta and usually powdered sugar to sweeten it. The filling will usually include mascarpone and whipped cream for a lighter filling. You'll sometimes find orange zest or nutmeg in there for extra flavor.
For the dough:
- 250g of flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of quality cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- Half a cup (125 mL) Marsala wine
- 1 egg
- Sunflower or soybean oil for frying
For the filling:
- 500 g of ricotta cheese
- 150 g of icing sugar
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Half a teaspoon of orange zest
- Transfer the ricotta cheese to a sieve or strainer and place it over a container so that it loses excess liquid. You can have it that way for a few hours.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl with sufficient capacity, mixing them well, incorporating the egg and little by little the wine.
- You have to get a dough with just the right touch of softness and elasticity, so it will knead well.
- Once kneaded, cover the ball with plastic wrap and leave it to rest for an hour in the fridge.
- Remove the dough and roll out with the help of a rolling pin.
- Circular pieces are cut and rolled over the cannoli tubes. To stick, a point of water or beaten egg will suffice.
- They are fried until golden brown and placed on absorbent paper.
- The preparation of the cream is simple, it will be enough to mix all the ingredients evenly and pass them to a pastry bag, filling the cannoli once cold.
- The decoration can be with icing sugar or chocolate chips.