The perfect party drink, as it can be made well in advance and then taken out of the refrigerator when guests arrive or served hot for a traditional warmer winter, either way, its flavor is incredible.
That wine flavor with the cinnamon-flavored background is delicious, this cocktail is a very versatile drink with a lot of character, it is easy to make and you can leave it ready to serve, it is perfect accompanying meals that contain salad or red meat. It is sweet and refreshing, its color is striking and euphoric. You need to try it.
- 100g/4oz light muscovado sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 150ml water
- 1 lemon
- 2 clementines
- 150ml Cointreau
- 750ml/ 1¼pint bottle light red wine, such as Beaujolais
- Twist of orange zest and a star anise, to serve
- Put 100g light muscovado sugar in a pan with 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, and 150ml water. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 2 mins, then pour into a large jug and leave to cool. Add 1 lemon and 2 clementines, both thinly sliced, to the jug along with 150ml Cointreau and a 750ml bottle light red wine, such as a Beaujolais. Stir well, then cover and chill for at least 2 hrs or overnight if you can.
- Serve chilled or over ice, with a twist of orange zest and a star anise. If you’d like to serve a traditional warm mulled wine, there’s no need to chill – simply warm through without boiling and serve in heatproof glasses.