This tortellini soup recipe will be your new favorite! Filled with fresh vegetables and pasta, it's warm, tasty, and easy to make, perfect for any occasion, especially a cold night. Try it!
If you want to make a cozy and nutritious meal, you will love this recipe for tortellini soup. It cooks in just over 30 minutes, so it's easy to make on a weekday night, and it's packed with tasty veggies and herbs. The soft, chewy tortellini contrasts with the cheese and makes it filling and fun to eat, and a vibrant and juicy kale pesto (we've left the recipe below for you) explodes all its flavor. It is an incredible combination. On a chilly night, this delicious Italian-scented recipe is guaranteed to hit the spot! Add extra cheese if you are one of those who loves to taste pasta with it. You will not stop preparing it.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3½ cups water or broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 9 to 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 5 cups torn kale
- Dollops of Kale Pesto
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, fennel, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, garlic, tomatoes, water, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini in a pot of salted boiling water according to the package directions until al dente. Add the tortellini and the kale to the soup and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Season to taste with about ¼ to ½ teaspoon more salt and a few generous grinds of pepper.
Note: Serve in bowls with scoops of the kale pesto and sprinkle with fresh parsley for a nice aesthetic.